Wellingborough Pubwatch Scheme Benefits from PR5 Camera
PR5 & Pubwatch Initiative
Door staff in Wellingborough bars and clubs are now protected by PR5 body cameras. Following a successful trial last year the cameras have been issued to twenty door staff in venues across the town in a bid to tackle anti-social behaviour. The Wellingborough Community Safety Partnership includes Northamptonshire Police and the Borough Council of Wellingborough. They have teamed up with the local Pubwatch to look at initiatives to improve the safety of both staff and public in venues at night. Members of the CSP contributed to the cost of the cameras which local licensees were able to purchase at a subsidised rate. The initiative has the backing of all who have a keen interest in public order and the night-time economy, not least the police.
“All police officers are issued with body-worn cameras and they have proved themselves time and again in capturing evidence. They can be a deterrent as well as helping to de-escalate incidents, as people know they are being recorded. The majority of people who come into town drink and behave responsibly and have an enjoyable night out, but we hope the cameras will provide extra reassurance.
“Wellingborough Pubwatch is a great partnership and I am pleased they have chosen to issue cameras that are the same as those used by Northamptonshire Police. Officers will be able to advise door staff on their use, and it also demonstrates how we work closely with door staff to reduce crime and anti-social behaviour across the town.”
— Inspector Lara Alexander-Lloyd
“Most pubs have CCTv, but we can’t actually capture everything on the CCTv and certainly not audio, whereas the body-worn cameras allow us to take the audio element of it. So we’re able to capture a whole picture of things that lead up to an incident or sometimes they can actually prevent incidents because if people realise that they are being filmed it allows them to rethink their actions.”
— Pubwatch Spokesman Sanjai Tailor
Body worn cameras protect your employees & benefit your organisation
- Protection Supports the lone worker or enforcement officer, promotes confidence and provides a tangible backup in confrontational situations.
- Deterrent Moderates behaviour and encourages compliance through heightened awareness.
- De-escalation Verbal articulation that recording has commenced often prompts modified behaviour by both parties and de-escalates a situation.
- Safety Creates peace of mind and reduces verbal and physical attacks on workers.
- Transparency Contributes significantly to the drive for transparency and accountability in the public arena.
- Accuracy Provides verifiable audio/video reporting including an overview of the scene, time-stamp, verbal exchanges, sequence of events and valuable first-account witness statements.
- Time-saving Minimises lengthy descriptive reports and paperwork.
- Evidence Footage from body worn video devices is admissible throughout the judicial chain.
- Judicial Efficiency Accelerates the judicial process, by speeding up prosecutions and encouraging early guilty pleas.
- Reduces Complaints Members of the public are less likely to make spurious complaints against workers.
- Reduces Absenteeism All the above improve worker working conditions and promote mental well-being in vulnerable staff.
- Loss Prevention The combined benefits of body worn video contribute to efficient workflow and cost-saving.