Chorley On Camera
Body Camera Trial
Chorley Council in Lancashire have recently concluded a successful trail of PR5 body cameras. The initiative is targeted at irresponsible dog owners and also aims to combat littering and fly-tipping. The authority made the move in response to continual complaints from residents. They hope the cameras will encourage more pro-social behaviour in Chorley parks and streets and where necessary help secure speedy convictions for repeat offenders. Body camera footage will also contribute to swifter resolution in instances where fines might be contested.
Deterrent & Evidence Gathering
The initiative is a key part of a £45,000 investment to tackle unacceptable attitudes towards dog-fouling, litter and dumping in the borough. It is anticipated that the deterrent effect along with actual evidence gathering will improve behaviour and encourage a minority of irresponsible residents to be more mindful of their responsibilities towards the shared environment. The council in conjunction with the police issued 22 fixed penalty notices for dog-fouling during 2014 and secured two prosecutions. However since January this year there have already been 183 recorded incidents and 8 penalties issued. Local media have widely reported the Pr5 camera trial in a bid to raise awareness about the campaign and kick-start a shift in attitudes.
Body worn cameras protect your employees & benefit your organisation
- Protection Supports the lone worker or enforcement officer, promotes confidence and provides a tangible backup in confrontational situations.
- Deterrent Moderates behaviour and encourages compliance through heightened awareness.
- De-escalation Verbal articulation that recording has commenced often prompts modified behaviour by both parties and de-escalates a situation.
- Safety Creates peace of mind and reduces verbal and physical attacks on workers.
- Transparency Contributes significantly to the drive for transparency and accountability in the public arena.
- Accuracy Provides verifiable audio/video reporting including an overview of the scene, time-stamp, verbal exchanges, sequence of events and valuable first-account witness statements.
- Time-saving Minimises lengthy descriptive reports and paperwork.
- Evidence Footage from body worn video devices is admissible throughout the judicial chain.
- Judicial Efficiency Accelerates the judicial process, by speeding up prosecutions and encouraging early guilty pleas.
- Reduces Complaints Members of the public are less likely to make spurious complaints against workers.
- Reduces Absenteeism All the above improve worker working conditions and promote mental well-being in vulnerable staff.
- Loss Prevention The combined benefits of body worn video contribute to efficient workflow and cost-saving.